May 23, 2011

Our love story

The short version
We met: uh not exactly sure, probably officially around Summer 2006
We started dating: June 22, 2008
We got engaged: July 10, 2010
We got married: September 25, 2010

The long version (I am warning you, it's sort of long story!)
     Mike and the girls were attending NWUMC and I was working there as the Director of Children and Volunteer Ministries.  (Kat & Ash - if you're reading this just skip the next sentence) I thought Mike was about the hottest thing I had ever laid my eyes on.  Apparently however I was just the average Jane in his eyes (I hesitate to type this because I like to think that he has always thought about of me in the super hottie category but he has somewhat convinced me that he thinks "I look nice NOW" - no points awarded to you on this one, Mike). 

     After talking a few weeks and getting to know each other on the phone and through email; I decided it was time to invite him over for dinner.  I really turned on the charm.  I cranked the John Mayer, grilled up some chicken and veggies, bought some gatorade for him and hosted our first dinner together.  (Did you pick up on how chill and laid back I was, John Mayer....I.was.so.cool)  We talked forever that night. 

     We spent a lot of time together in the next few months, I decided it was time for Mike to know how I felt about him.  So one night I sent him some texts explaining in really "breezy" terms that I thought he was hot, a really nice guy and I loved how much He loved Jesus.  He took 6 WEEKS to decide how he felt in return...that's right I said 6 weeks,  I mean really he really knows how to lay on the torture.  During this time, I overanalyzed his every word and every move; pretended like it didn't matter what his response was "at least we could still be friends" and prayed to God, begging Him to make Mike like me. 

      Mike went with the youth on a Mission Trip and we weren't able to talk much (mind you, we had been texting, talking on the phone, hanging out ALL.THE.TIME for months).  When Mike got back I went up to his house to hear all about the trip, tell him about my week, hang out...AND little did I know - get my first kiss!!!!  It was incredible, he was so sweet, and when I think about it my face still hurts from all the smiling I did for weeks after.  This was June 22, 2008.


      We kept our new relationship on the down low for a few weeks.  On August 8, 2008 we told the girls that we were dating (ok, Mike always makes fun of me for remembering this but seriously how could you forget 08.08.08.).  I will never forget their excitement - it made me feel so happy and blessed.  We of course told my family and friends too but no one could compete with the teenage girl shrieks from Katie & Ashley.  I think most people would agree that from that point on we were all attached.  (Side note: this is like an entire separate post but the girls and I get along awesome!!!!)


       Mike and I dated for a few years and each year he would go on a mission trip about the same time that we started dating.  So...the second year, he was gone for our anniversary - now you should know that we have never been big "Anniversary" people but I have to tell you this because it leads to.....

      July 10th, 2010 - Mike took me to Cerulean (AKA the best restaurant, ever!) for dinner.  When we got to the table there was a vase of flowers - my favorite, Gerber Daisies, two yellow and one white.  As we ate dinner I was under the impression that we were just celebrating two amazing years together.  When the meal was finished, Mike told me that the flowers had a story behind them.  He asked me to guess what the white flower stood for.  I sort of wanted to skip this part because you all  have probably already figured out two things
1. what the white flower stood for and
2. what was happening for us. 

But I digress to admit that my guesses were:
A. snow (I did grow up in Indiana)
B. The White House (yes, that's seriously what came to my mind)
C. a wedding dress (I got really excited about this answer, until Mike told me no)
Finally I admitted defeat and told him that I didn't know what the answer was....

He went on to tell me that the white flower represented Christ, and the two yellow flowers were he and I.  The Christ flower was set higher and in the center of the two yellow ones (cue gooey romantic movie sounds).  Mike said, "we have always prayed that God would be the center of our lives as individuals and as a couple.  Do you think we have done a good job with this?" I thought about it and said, "I think that we had but we could of course always get better". He agreed and then asked if there was anything that we could do that would make our relationship more pleasing to God.  I wasn't sure where he was going at first so I just looked at him and started smiling I was starting to catch on with where this was headed.  He went on, "what if we were married?"  Like the intelligent gal that I am, I just repeated his sentence. 
As I did he pulled a ring box out of his pocket and simultaneously asked,
"Monica, will you marry me?" 
I flipped out, I giggled, I cried, I stared at the beautiful ring, I looked at Mike....after a little time passed he encouraged me to give him an answer
"YES!"
But of course you already knew that.  Fast forward 10 week to September 25, 2010 (yep, you didn't have to fast forward too far) and we became Mr. and Mrs. Mike Lyon.  I will save the wedding details for another post....but I will tell you it was the best day of my life!!!!  God has blessed us beyond our imagination.

note: my flowers :)

Some fun stuff to reward you if you are still reading

His
Favorite thing about her: caring personality, how she shows love - especially to children and people in need
Favorite thing to do together: hanging out at home when we get some down time
(this made me laugh we don't know what down time means around here)
What's your favorite memory: the encouragement and support that she has given me to go back to school and pursue God's call to Ministry
Where do you see our family in 5 years: debt free

Hers
Favorite thing about him: his smile, how he always serves everyone before himself
Favorite thing to do together: achieve our goals to becoming debt free (my dad just fell out of his chair)
What's your favorite memory: besides Cerulean on July 10th? when Mike took me to the Reba and Kelly Clarkson concert and smiled the entire time even though I am positive that he was miserable 
Where do you see our family in 5 years: debt free (yeah ok I can deal with that) but I would like to add a few mini-me's running around, Mike in a growing youth ministry and Katie & Ashley happy and successful and all of us pleasing God!

No comments:

Post a Comment